Tuesday, July 15, 2014

So grateful for CTMH - (a Peek into my Personal Life)


I don't have a project to share with you today, but a little personal story I'd like to share instead. I am blessed beyond belief to have such a wonderful husband and two fabulous kiddos. My son is 10 (almost 11) and my daughter is 7 (almost 8.) My sweet daughter has been struggling with some pretty severe anxiety issues and panic attacks since March. She struggles with going out to public places like restaurants, school, certain stores, and anywhere that might be crowded. She has not been eating much and has lost weight, which concerns the doctors because she is already a bit underweight. It got so bad that we had to pull her out of school in April and she had to finish off her 1st grade school year at home.

We have been meeting with a psychologist weekly since April to help with her anxiety and eating issues. While this psychologist has been wonderful working with my son, who was diagnosed with high functioning autism 3 years ago, my daughter hasn't made much progress. In fact, in some ways it has been worse. So, I decided to do some research to see if I could find someone else who uses a different approach. I found a therapist who specializes in play therapy and art therapy to help children with anxiety. (My daughter loves art, so I thought this might be a good approach to try.) We met with the therapist a few days ago. The two of them really clicked and after a lot of talking and praying, we have decided to start seeing her weekly in hopes that she will help my daughter prepare to go back to school next month. The only down side is that our insurance doesn't cover it. However, because of my Close to my Heart business, we are able to pay for it!

When I signed up with Close to my Heart almost 10 years ago, I did it mainly to get a discount on my own crafting supplies. Then after a few years, I was able to make enough money to pay for my paper crafting supplies so I didn't have to dip into our personal checking account every time I wanted to buy something. Now, almost 10 years later, I am blessed to be making enough money to pay for my daughter's much needed therapy. I am so grateful for the opportunities that CTMH has provided to me and my family!

I know everyone can use a little extra money each month. How would you use an extra $500 or $1,000 each month? Would you use it to buy more paper crafting supplies, save it to take your family on a fun vacation, or use it to help a child who is in need of special therapy that is not covered by insurance?

Feel free to contact me if you'd like some information on turning your hobby into a lucrative business like I did. You can also find some great FAQs about signing up with CTMH here. Or if you are excited to start your journey now, you can find the online application here.

Whatever your reason for wanting to become a CTMH Consultant, I pray that you will be blessed as much as I have been! *Ü*

12 comments:

  1. Lisa, thank you for sharing your family's personal challenges with us...it's not always easy to do. I will be praying for your family and especially your daughter that she will be able to return to school next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ella!!! I appreciate your prayers!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lisa, Thanks for sharing! My 10 yr old son developed anxieties this yr too! Our first clue was the hand washing. We are working with a therapist on teaching him that his worries are just thoughts & he is struggling with the concept. So yesterday, I got out the shrinky dinks & we made a thought bubble bracelet. I never thought of the art therapy & love your idea. CTMH wouldn't work for me though, too many friends sell it & I couldn't sell to anyone more. Instead I joined an online fashion stylist company Keaton Row. Stay home they need you now & keep sharing your CTMH! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing about your son Clare. Sadly, anxiety issues are becoming more and more common in children. I pray that he will learn some coping skills to help him. Hang in there. Sounds like you are doing great job! :)

      Delete
  3. Lisa Thanks for your open sharing! You may want to get a hold of a wonderful book by Rise Van Fleet on combining play therapy with art therapy and animal assisted therapy. She has done some wonderful things in this area with children. I had the privilege of taking a training course with her a few years back and was amazed with the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the info on the book. I will definitely check it out! I am researching everything I can. :)

      Delete
  4. Lisa, be SURE and have your daughter checked for allergies, first and foremost. I had the exact same problem starting in my early 30's.... and after a psychiatrist and much misery and losing over 30 lbs., I went to a naturopath and found out I had a severe wheat allergy! This is VERY prevalent now in children because of the genetically altered grains and corns. Take her off of ALL wheat and gluten and corn products... this will more than likely make a HUGE difference in her feelings of anxiety and eating problems. With these allergies, you quit eating because everything makes you feel sick, and then you lose weight and you get anxious. I'm not saying this is the only problem, but it could be a very big part. After years of "cheating" and eating some wheat (even in soups, gravies, salad dressing, etc.) and having anxiety attacks, I am not TOTALLY off of any wheat and gluten and corn, and I feel 100% better and no more anxiety attacks. It's sure worth a try. Most naturopaths can help you with the elimination diet which eliminates all allergens at first, then gradually adding in various foods to see what causes reactions. I just so want to see your daughter feel good and happy and free of anxiety again! Feel free to contact me if any questions at pinkpapercottage@yahoo.com. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your journey Marilyn. I have no doubt that food plays a big role in her anxiety. As I am transitioning out of eating processed foods and limiting my gluten intake myself, I have noticed a big difference in my own mood and my anxiety levels.

      Unfortunately, my daughter is not eating much at all right now and I am honestly encouraging her to eat anything that sounds good to her just to get some calories in her. Once we are able to manage the eating issues a bit more, I plan to do an elimination diet with her to see if gluten is a culprit. I am thrilled to hear your success story and it gives me a lot of hope and encouragement. Thanks again for sharing! :)

      Delete
  5. I meant..... I am "now" totally off of all wheat and corn, etc. Sorry for the typo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I really appreciated reading what you shared. I have an adult daughter recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, we have another daughter who has been on anti seizure meds since she was 3. They are 34 and 37 respectively. We also have a grandson with Tourettes. It breaks my heart as a mom and grand mother. I pray and pray and I know the Lord hears and has a plan for these 3 that I love so much but I still wish I could take it all away. Will pray for your on your journey to help your daughter and your son. I appreciate your heart and spirit as I read your blog and comments to others. Blessings, Lorie Dearinger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment and for your prayers. I am sorry to hear that your family has been struggling, but I am learning that the Lord sometimes allows us and our loved ones to go through trails for reasons that we may not understand at the time. I pray that you and your family will grow closer to each other and to God through your trials. xoxo

      Delete