Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Fun Tag and a Couple Awards

My sweet blogging buddy (and very talented I might add) Kathi tagged me last week. This one is kind of fun because it is different. Here are the rules:

1. Get the book on your nightstand (or whatever book you are currently reading).
2. Open it to page 56 and find the 5th sentence.
3. Post the next couple of sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.
4. Do not go and find your favorite book, it has to be the one you are reading now!
5. Tag 5 other people to do the same.

Ok. This is gonna be good. The only two books "on" my nightstand right now are my bible and a book I am currently reading called Taming Your Family Zoo: Six Weeks to Raising a Well-Mannered Child by Donna Jones. I have a ton of half read books inside my nightstand that are probably much more interesting, but since I must follow the rules, I will go with this one. I actually met Donna, the author, at one of our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meetings a couple months ago. She did a presentation at the meeting and was fantastic. She is very down to earth and had a lot of great advice about raising a well-mannered child.

Here is an excerpt from page 56, beginning with the fifth sentence: "Millions of kids are virtually raising themselves. Is it any wonder that civility has all but disappeared in today's youth?"

It goes on to describe how many of us fall into one or more of many categories as parents and how to not fall prey to these ineffective parenting styles. The styles she includes are: repeating parents, threatening parents, doormat parents, "Do as I say not as I do" parents, "She's lost her marbles" parents, inconsistent parents, "Kids will be kids" parents, overly strict parents, overly permissive parents, "It's not my child's fault" parents, and/or absent parents. I have to say that I a, guilty of many of these parenting styles. Donna has some great tips on how to avoid being all of these types of parents. (Now if I can just put some of her tips into action, my kids might actually be well-mannered. LOL!

Now for the award. I received this award from Vicki a few days ago. Vicki is another one of my CTMH online buddies. She may not know it, but I stalk her blog almost daily. She is such a HUGE inspiration to me! *Ü*

I was also nominated for this award yesterday by Lori. I am so humbled by her kindness. She is another amazingly talented CTMH consultant! Check out her blog. You will love it!The rules if you are nominated are:
1) You may post the logo on your blog.
2) Put a link to the person who sent you the award.
3) Nominate 5 blogs.
4) Put links to the blogs you nominate.
5) Leave a message for your nominees on their blogs.

Ok, now I am supposed to tag 5 people from my first tag, nominate 6 people for the "I love you blog" award, and nominate 5 more people for the "Kreativ Blogger" award. I don't think I even know that many bloggers. LOL! I know I stalk a ton of blogs, but they have no clue who I am. Many of them already have already been tagged and nominated for the awards. I am going to humbly say "thank you" to those who tagged me and ask you all to visit the blogs that I have posted to the right, as those are many of the ones I visit regularly. (I actually need to update the list because there are a bunch more I visit these days.) I will do that soon.

Thanks everyone. Have a great evening! *Ü*

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your blog awards! I enjoyed reading your book excerpt and think I just might need to look for that book myself...well...so that I can work smarter at raising well mannered kids...Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete